There are no items in your cart.

Lutherhaus Eisenach, "Nazi bell" in the special exhibition "Study and Eradication"
Lutherhaus Eisenach, View of the special exhibition on the so-called Dejudaization Institute of  the Protestant Churches
Lutherhaus Eisenach, Visitor in front of an exhibition wall in der special exhibition "Study and Eradication"

‘Dejudaization Institute’

“Study and Eradication. The Church’s ‘Dejudaization Institute’, 1939–1945”
September 20, 2019 - December 23, 2022

Eleven regional Protestant churches established the infamous “Institute for the Study and Eradication of Jewish Influence on German Church Life” in Eisenach in May of 1939. The Lutherhaus Eisenach explores this anti-Semitic “Dejudaization Institute’s” origins and work in a well-grounded, compelling and critical special exhibition. In the process, it also examines the institute’s background and intellectual roots, the impact of its work, and the arduous path toward scholarly treatment of this history after 1945.

The multimedia exhibition is fully bilingual (German and English) and wheelchair accessible. It will be open for viewing during the Lutherhaus’s regular hours at least until the end of 2022. A companion volume published for the exhibition is also available in English.

Learn more about our supporters.

We gratefully thank the sponsors of this exhibition project:

“Nine hundred years of Jewish life in Thuringia”

The Stiftung Lutherhaus Eisenach was an event partner of the “Nine hundred years of Jewish life in Thuringia” themed year in 2020/2021.